pink to orange, shade/part-sun, very low

j_k_w(WA 7B - Sunset 5/4)May 21, 2011

I need help finding (if it exists) a ground cover that has warm pink to orange shading in its foliage, is very low growing (4" or less, ideally), and that thrives in shade/part-sun. The conditions are favorable -- protected, composted soil, good moisture.

It doesn't have to have solidly-colored leaves, but can be some form of green with shadings of the colors I'm looking for, though I'd prefer less green. I'm looking for the range of colors found in the link below.

Flower color (if any) is unimportant.

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I think you may be looking for the impossible :-) As a former sales rep of a wholesale nursery that specialized in groundcovers and a buyer of groundcovers for a retail nursery, I am pretty aware of what's out there and I can't think of anything that fits your description. The closest I could come is Sedum 'Angelina', which is really a rather intense lemon yellow during the growing season but turns an orange-coppery-bronze in cold weather. If you can fudge on the height requirements, a couple of heaths/heathers could work also, but again, the coloring is not uniform year round but intensifies with cold weather - Erica x darleyensis 'Mary Helen', Calluna vulgaris 'Firefly' or 'Wickwar Flame'. And these would really prefer full sun but will tolerate light shade.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

I don't have a suggestions that fits your chosen color, but your photo link looks like 'Caramel' Heuchera, which I have in a pot with bronze foliage Ajuga reptans and an orange flowering pansy. Another groundcover that looks good with this combo is golden creeping Jenny (Lysimachia numm...)

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™