Pampas Grass will not plume

outdoors24(Zone 6 Virginia)April 8, 2005

I have 2 plants, one is about 8 years old, and the other about 4 years old. They "plumed" before, but for the last 2 years, they have not. What could I do to make these grasses "plume" for this coming growing season? Neither plant has ever been pruned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and very antisipated.

Eric

SW Virginia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

What has changed? Did a tree grow and create more shade? Have you fertilized/not fertilized them differently? Do the plants themselves look healthy and full? Grasses sometimes need some nitrogen fertilizer so a soil test should help you see if you need to feed them.

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 5:23PM
AgastacheMan(z7 CA)

Stress the plants. Play mother nature and send a little signal in the middle of summer by holding off some water and maybe increasing just slightly the phosphorous in your fertilizer for flower and seed formation.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 12:45PM
boogie

I have had my pampas grass for about 4 years now and never have they plumed. I recently (early march) moved them to full sun. I hope to get some plumes this year but I'm wondering if I need to fertilize them. Has anyone ever tried epsom's salts?

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 6:16PM
gardengal48

Generally, fertilizing ornamental grasses is not necessary or even recommended - fertilizing has a tendency to produce lush growth (at the expense of flowering) that becomes rather loose and floppy. And I'm not sure what benefit empsom salts would provide unless your soils were radically deficient in magnesium. Lack of pluming or blooming is usually related to insufficient sun conditions or lack of summer heat or, too much fertilizing with a high nitrogen content.

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 8:16AM
boogie

gardengal48 thanks for your reply. i will wait impatiently to see if the full sun helps and i will not
fertilize. so far it's growing fast and full.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™