Few Questions

jrod(z7 NM)May 10, 2007

I am planning on doing a mass planting of Nassella (stipa) tenuissima and Festuca glauca or Helictotrichon sempervirens.

I will be using 38 or 50 cell flats. I would like to seed propagate these plants. My question is, how many seeds or packets would be required to produce per flat of plugs?

Also what is the least expensive way to seed propagate... by ordering many packets or should they be ordered in larger quantities.

Thanks for the help,

Jared

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Jared..it depends on how big a hurry you're in. One seed will eventually make a perfectly good clump of any of those grasses. If you want a clump with a larger girth, faster, you can use as many as 12-15 seeds per cell.

The obvious answer to your other question is that you can almost always buy larger quantities of anything for less than smaller quantities. At Jelitto, for example, you can buy Blue Fescue seed for 3 Euros for 1 gram, 24 Euros for 10 grams or 192 Euros for 100 grams.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelitto

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 6:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrod(z7 NM)

Thank you very much... That number gives me a good idea of how many seeds I would need per flat. I planted festuca glauca seeds in the past but I sowed them all in about 4" containers but I only got a few plants out of that, so I gave up. I think plugs would be much better and cheaper.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Sponsored Products
LEM Piston Stool - Wood Seat
Design Within Reach
Twin 464TC Flat Solid-Color Sheet - PALE FLANNEL
$58.90 | Horchow
California Outdoor Concepts Capri Round Tabletop Fire Bowl - 8100
$237.49 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Flushmount Antique Brass Ceiling Fan with 52-Inch Plus Series Walnu
$129.60 | Bellacor
Neptune I Bronze Red Amber Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$223.20 | Bellacor
Nelson | Pear Lamp With Stand
$349.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™