Whats the MOST cold hardy grass avlbl?

kris2001(6a - s.e.PA)May 10, 2009

Hi

I need ideas for 4 season planter setup.

I have a big pot 2'wx2'h and round in full sun. Right now has 2 Osteospermum(white,pink), 2 Sweet potato vines in front trailing(one green,one black).

I need to put some kinda tall grassy spikes in back. Is there an evergreen for that?

If none, then is there a very (most)cold hardy Tall grass that stays intact in winter and comes again in spring ..inspite of being in a pot in s.e.PA?

;)

Thanks-kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

There are lots of Ornamental Grasses which are hardy to zones 2, 3 and 4. Most of these will survive your winters in a container.

Compare them with this chart:

http://www.bluestem.ca/grass-comparison-chart.htm

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 6:49AM
gardengal48

Since your other container plants (the osteospermum and sweet potato vine) are annuals and not winter hardy, I'm not sure why you feel you need an evergreen grass to accompany them :-) Why not pick whatever you like to go with that combo - an annual like purple fountain grass or even one of the common "spike" plants like cordylines/draceanas would work well and last as long as the other plants. IMO, unless you don't mind replanting the container seasonally, combining hardy perennials with annuals just makes for more work and root disturbance to the perennials when you remove/replace the dead annuals. And you'd be surprised how fast the roots of a perennial ornamental grass will fill up a container!

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 12:01PM
Glo407

I'm a beginning gardener who is interested in the "cordyline banksii" grass. I live in an apartment and would like to know if it can be kept outside on the balcony during our Southern New Jersey winters? If so, how would I protect it? I also hoped to get another for indoor color. Can this grass be grown as a houseplant? Thank you for your help.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 1:05PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Hi Glo...it isn't a grass, but a sub-tropical tree. It's probably too large to move in and out in a container, as it would need a huge pot.

I suggest you ask your question in a tree forum, or a container forum, or a tropical forum.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™