grasses indoors overwinter

linden_ab(AB Canada z3)May 31, 2006

I am looking for recommendations for overwintering nonhardy grasses in pots indoors for the winter.To shear or not to shear, that is just one of the questions. I did overwinter japanese bloodgrass last winter without shearing, but it is quite thin and frail looking right now. One site i visited (which I cannot find again) did not recommend cutting back. what's the general opinion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

First, you could definitely shear down to about 1/2 inch. Your example, Japanese bloodgrass, here in zone 5 goes completely dormant and always starts the year out with a shearing to get rid of the dead leaves. Be gentle with this one, it has very shallow roots and pulls out of the ground easily.

Many of the other grasses not hardy to your area can be overwintered in a cool/cold area (garage or cold room) depending on what they can withstand. All but the tropicals (eg purple fountain grass) can withstand quite a bit of cold.
You might want to check with the group of folks on the northern gardening forum and see what they are managing to grow in the ground in your area.

I overwinter a few bamboos in my garage & keep the garage around 0 to -2C for most of the winter with a small heater.

good luck
A.

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™