Groundcover for 'groundcover roses'?

townhouserOnt(z6aOnt)May 17, 2005

I have groundcover roses growing in the full-full sun front yard, z6a, Great Lakes.

Every winter they die to the ground and in the spring the new growth begin to emerge. This takes time - to the end of May (last frost date May,9).

Question is: what can be used to fill bare ground between roses, which later will be covered by rose branches? One that will not interfere with roses' roots.

I tried: wooly thyme, Elfin thyme, dianthus, armeria maritima, arenaria verna, aegopodium podagraria, and (out of line, big, but very early folliage, z2) - oriental poppy. Spring bulbs also, of course, but squirrels deadheaded not only tulips, but daffofils also... Right next to the Fritillaria Imperialis.

Not much success yet with low-growing groungcovers - they grow very-very slowly, thymes have dead bare branches in the center (3rd yr of growing). I was cautioned that watering and fertilizing of the roses could interfere with grouncover development.

Any ideas about grouncover compatible with groundcover roses, that visible already in April-May (days warm, but night temperatures are slightly above freezing)?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

check out katrinal sp? post on the rose ground cover thread. I believe she mentioned some or least made the same suggestion. If she didn't mention no doubt a post would bring them forth. I'm interested also. Also for a rose bed with upright types.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Ajuga Reptans Mahogany
I planted a couple of flats of this last summer. I...
misterleadfoot_z9
IDing existing garden beds
We moved into this house last fall. Things are growing...
akane
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
plant id
Can anyone Id this plant? Referring to the green groundcover,...
Sarah Venn
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Sponsored Products
Live Green Groundcover Stonecrop - Set of Two
$16.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™