new varieties

fpgoaJune 16, 2009

So I decided to grow some different varieties of pumpkins this year as well as some old familiar summer squash and zucchini. I ordered the seeds online (rough vtifs, kukai, blue jarradale) and the plants don't seem to be moving along as well as my old standbys. The online company I found out has tons of complaints. Does anybody know where I can see photos of seedlings through plant phase of these plants so I can see if my stuff is getting going or if I have some sick or weak plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Jarrahdale is fairly well known, An Australian cultivar. Never heard of Kukai, but there is a Kakai. 'Rouge Vif d'Etampes' is an old French cultivar sometimes called the cinderella pumpkin. None of them are going to compete in yield with modern native cultivars. All of these are imported cultivars. If the seed germinated and they are the cultivar specified, the vendors responsibility has ended. If in further doubt, these cultivars are widely available from high rated companies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kakai

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 7:10PM
fpgoa

I appreciate your help, farmerdilla. I know they won't grow the way a modern burpee would. I am just trying to figure out if they are growing as they should or if they did not take. I had big max and jack be little and hercules last year and I had vines all over the place. My squash are doing good but these guys (I am assuming they are from their seeds, not volunteers or seeds the squirrels dug up and placed elsewhere, as they have done in seasons past). I am trying to see what their plants look like and figure out if I am going to get anything.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 7:56PM
fpgoa

here is a link to some photos I took tonight of the crops. Any identification help would be appreciated.

http://twitpic.com/photos/njrossdawg

Here is a link that might be useful: my twitpic pumpkins

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 10:06PM
fpgoa

Found a product order from the seed. Besides the names listed previously I find other seeds listed as fairytale besides the rouge dtiv.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™