Ajuga in flower bed

aliciavr6May 14, 2010

Long story short, have a 3' x 40' slope that I weeded, mulched, and the mulch is just sliding off. I planted hostas, hydrangea, peony, tall ornamental grasses, and some evergreen shrubs. Got purple bugle ajuga and burgundy glow ajuga to plant to create a ground cover. Will this be okay around all these plants? I'm not worried about it being invasive or going where it shouldn't, just dont want it attacking my plants! From what I've read this will probably die back here in winter (south central PA).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Seems like a good choice. Spreads like crazy. Mine have not stayed true to form, but seeded, blended and now, all I ever see is the standard dark-blue-violet and green foliage. I string trim the faded flower heads off, to make it look neater. You can, over time, move to more refined groundcovers, but some can be pricey. I like Epimediums and they are strong enough to omit weeds, but I could never afford a great many.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 5:54PM
aliciavr6

Thanks! the purple brocade i planted just a week or two ago is already sending runners and spreading! burgundy glow is just hanging out still. i hope i can stay up on dead heading before the seeds drop, i just love the purple leaves.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 9:43AM
azzgardengirl

I'm planning to put Ajuga under my boxwoods. They will get about 6 hours sun both morning and afternoon depending on the location in the garden. Will do well with this much sun?

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Sedum taking over!!!
For some reason I couldn't upload a picture of the...
seattlegardener
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™