squash plant for squash blossoms.....

katyajini(z6 NYC)June 4, 2009

I have just developed a taste for squash blossoms...they are just so delicious and you need so many of them. I want to plant a few squash plants just for the blossoms. Can any one suggest one or more varieties that produce a lot of large male flowers? Are there significant differences in flavor or texture between flowers of different squashes? And if these are uncommon seeds where would I order them?

Thanks very much!

Katyajini

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

I had the same question last year but for different reasons. Anyway I tracked down a variety of zucchini called 'butter blossom'. It was bred for flowers so I think it would be a good variety to start with if you can find it. No one seems to carry it anymore, but maybe someone is saving seeds and has some to spare. I would gladly give you seeds if I had some to spare. Last year I was given a few, but I wasn't able to save pure seeds. I still have a few more seeds I really want to maintain this variety. I think there are other varieties grown for blossoms but I don't know them off the top of my head. Wish I could be of more help. Also last year I remember noticing that the butternut "Burpee's butterbush" had amazingly large male flowers. I never ate any but boy were they big compared to all the other squash I grew.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™