Sanguisorba and Acaena ground covers

hemnancy(z8 PNW)May 1, 2007

Has anyone tried these ground covers? I'm growing Acaena inermis, which has lovely purple leaves and so far has not made burrs, and Acaena novae-zelandiae which has blue-green leaves and has made burrs. They spread well and stay low, so I'm finding them to be a good gc under roses so far.

I saw a Sanguisorba ground cover at a fair, maybe officinalis, which was supposed to stay 12" tall and wonder if I would like it as well. It is probably very invasive as I have S. minor and it self-sows everywhere. Has anyone tried officinalis under shrubs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Here is a photo of my Acaena saccaticulpula Blue Haze. I was wrong about the name in my first post. Anyway, it is growing well but not keeping out weeds as well as I might like, sweet yellow clover, willow herb, and grass are coming up in that bed.

I'm getting seeds for a couple of Sanguisorbas from JL Hudson but not the low-growing one I want to use but passed up because of the price at a fair. Perhaps I'll find one again. Does anyone know a source for seed for one that gets 12" tall? I will have seed for Sanguisorba minor, the one I grow, when it ripens.

--Sanguisorba officinalis.
'GREAT BURNET'. Dark purple flowers in 1" spikes. Pinnate leaves. An elegant perennial to 5 feet. Eurasia. Sow in March, thin to 9" apart. The leaves are eaten in salads. Medicinal. Germinates in 1 - 3 weeks, and is improved by 4 weeks cold.
--Sanguisorba tenuifolia.
Pink flowers in dense cylindrical 2 - 3" nodding spikes from July to October, in clusters held above the large basal pinnate leaves. Hardy perennial to 4 feet. Wet meadows and streambanks of NE Asia. Hardy to Zone 4. Good cut flower. Germinates in 2 - 6 weeks.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™