Transplanting Periwinkle

tantadoodles(z6 CT)May 1, 2006

I just received several boxes of periwinkle that my friend dug out of her yard in 2' x 2' clumps. I am trying to transplant them into a large bed with existing smaller spots of periwinkle that I just started last spring/fall.

Should I try to just transplant in one big clump (1 box per clump) or should I cut apart into smaller clumps and space around?

I'm fairly new to gardening so I apologize if my question seems a little silly. I would just hate for all of this periwinkle to go to waste when I could really use it!

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57(M-H Valley NY-5)

The answer depends on the area you want to cover. Periwinkle spreads quickly. I'd seperate the plants and dig them into your planting bed about 6 inches to a foot apart. Keep them watered until established and by next spring they'll look like a solid carpet.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 5:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tantadoodles(z6 CT)

When I first planted the periwinkle last spring, I spread mulch around the plants throughout the bed. This spring the plants haven't filled in yet, but if I mulch the bed I will be covering up the runners that have been thrown out. What should I do? To mulch or not to mulch? That is the question.

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™