ID of grass seedling

krikitMay 15, 2011

I'm hoping someone here might be able to ID this grass that came up in my flower bed. It's a pretty grass, which is why I left it - but now I'm starting to fear it might be something I don't want going to seed. It's about a foot tall, and has soft foliage, but the bloom stalks are reed like. I tried to take some pics but it's harder than I would have thought to capture detail of grass in a picture. I'm actually not as interested in a specific ID of the grass as I am concerned about the type of plant and whether or not it is some invasive weed. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Frances

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I'm pretty sure it's a Carex of some sort, but I can't ID the variety. Can you cut one of the flower stems and photograph both the stem and the flower head closeup?

There are several varieties of Sedge which are semi-invasive in my garden. None of them are over a foot tall, and some decidedly shorter. They all have very fine foliage and flower profusely. I enjoy them as long as the flower stems remain green. When they start to brown up, I pull the plants to prevent them from re-seeding. I've used some of the longer flower stems/heads in fresh arrangements. They don't last long, but look good for a short time.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 10:11AM
krikit

Thanks for the info Donn - here are a few more pics - don't know where this grass came from but like you said I'll pull it out soon so I don't end up with lots of it. I do have planted in my bed a japanese variegated carex, and a 'Blue Zinger' sedge - maybe a seedling from one of those???

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:24AM
donn_(7b-8a)

Sorry I can't be of any more help. It's almost certainly a Carex variety, but I'm at a loss as to which one. The type of flower head precludes it being a sport of either Carex flacca ('Blue Zinger') or Carex morrowii (Japanese variegated), but there are so many Carex native to TN, and hundreds more which could re-seed from someone's garden, it would take extensive research to pin it down.

Give it a try on the Name That Plant Forum. Those people are able to ID some pretty obscure items.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:22AM
krikit

Thanks!!! Not a problem with an exact ID - just knowing it is a carex helps. Thanks! Since you obviously know a lot about these, would you mind to take a look at another post I have on the weeds forum. I wasn't sure where to post. This grass has been coming up in my lawn for about 5 years now - we haven't always had it - and it really stands out in the lawn as it is more of a kelly green and a thicker texture. Do you have any idea what it might be. I suppose it doesn't really matter but I am curious. Thanks for all your help!!!

Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed or Grass Id

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 10:56AM
donn_(7b-8a)

Frances..I replied in the Weed Forum.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™