Questions about Liriope as Driveway Edging

HFK123(Oklahoma City)May 28, 2005

Hi,

I'm going to plant some non-variegated Liriope along both sides of my driveway (about 120' per side). I'll use some edging material to seperate the Liriope from my Bermuda lawn. How wide should I make the bed? I don't want the edging to be visible: I want the Liriope to complete obscure it and the sides of the driveway. Of course, it won't do so immediately: it will have to grow-in. I want to ensure that when it reaches maturity that it will properly overlap both sides of its bed.

Perhaps the width of the bed is irrelevant: I've read that Liriope will completely expand to fit whatever area it's contained within.

BTW, I'm in central Oklahoma, and the driveway gets plenty of light.

Thanks,

Frank

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PPennypacker(z6b)

HFK 123 -
I think that's a great idea, not to mention a great look. It is in the Lily Family, and I personally grow many in that family, but Lirope didn't do well where and when I planted it several years ago in one of my Eastside Beds (raised) which has lovely, rich soil and only morning Sun. Then we had a freezing winter with no snow cover, and I was doomed. No more for me.
But on a positive note, every time I'm in Washington, DC I see it as a major sidewalk edger and treebox planter-filler, so it's hardiness would definitely be up to the task at hand.
It can look ratty in the deep winter and early spring, but I a haircut, or not, may help the visual.
Best,
PP
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Bookmark   May 29, 2005 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Sponsored Products
Original Sofa
| Italy Design
Cross Extension Table
Design Within Reach
Float Floor Lamp
Lightology
Spring Air Back Supporter Pillow Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolo
$704.99 | Hayneedle
Fioretto Knife Sharpener by Alessi
$80.00 | Lumens
Lily Opal Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$215.28 | Bellacor
Ashbury Dual Bath Light
Signature Hardware
Chicago Cubs Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™