How to plant peach tree?

JenniferinFL(9B Florida)May 9, 2013

So, I'm used to digging a hole 2-3 times the size of the pot and then filling in the hole with a combo of spent mushroom compost and some of the sand I dug out. But, before I stick the peaches I impulse bought into the ground, what do you guys do?

I caught myself right before planting them and noticed that they're growing in sand in the pots they came in, so, hmm...

It makes me happy that Lowe's doesn't usually carry all that much I must have, or I would be broke as I work there and have to walk through the garden center regularly. But, spotted that they actually had Florida Prince peaches and picked up two.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Jennifer,

It would have been best to plant them 2+ months ago but that ship has sailed. My preferred method is to rinse as much of the soil off the rootball as possible and put the tree in the native sand with zero soil amendments. Once in and watered well mulch the tree 6" deep in a circle 6+ feet across.

If you amend heavily the roots like to stay in the original planting hole. In the native sand they will range out and that is what you want. The heavy mulch (I use wood chips) is crucial as it keeps the circle cool and moist which aids root growth. It may seem silly to mulch a tiny tree in a circle 6 feet across (I go 10 feet right off the bat) but the roots will expand fast and as the wood rots it makes nice soil.

The reason for not wanting the original mix on the tree is it is normally potting type soil but once you put the tree in the ground the sand tends to wick the water out of the mix and you just end up with a tree that is constantly dry. It is just easier to start it out in the soil that will be home.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:13PM
JenniferinFL(9B Florida)

Wow, I somehow manage to be two months late with pretty much everything. Which is why I only have 8" tall tomato plants right now.

I will plant without amendments then and mulch heavy. What caught my attention about these ones when I went to plant them earlier was that instead of potting mix they had sand in the pot with what looks like pine chip mulch. It looked like the sand in my yard which is what caused me to stop right there and ask how to plant them.. lol

I'm sure these are pretty rootbound too as the pots are just bulging.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:35PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Jennifer, don't think of yourself as two months late - think of yourself as ten months early! With Bamboo's advice, I bet your tree will do great and you'll be eating delicious peaches in no time. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:49PM

If they are rootbound you will have to do something about that. Score the rootball or? You will have to play it by ear when they come out of the pot.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:00PM
JenniferinFL(9B Florida)

They actually ended up not being that badly rootbound, I loosened em up a bit, but, they weren't as bad as some stuff I've seen. So far so good, though I think it would probably take awhile for a tree to look stressed by transplant. So, here's hoping for some peaches next year. :)

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 5:06PM

Peaches impress me with just how fast they grow.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
wanted: perlite & peat moss wholesaler in miami, fl
Hi, I'm thrilled to come across this site. So many...
PowPowPow
deanna12061979
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Speaking of Coffee
I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia the...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™