Acorn Squash Not Flowering Anymore

barnhardt9999(8a)June 4, 2012

I have a healthy looking acorn squash that about a week ago I picked 3 ripe squash off of. Ever since I picked the squash I have not seen another flower, male or female. About 3 days ago (was a bit worried after 4 days with no flowers) I applied a bit of 8/10/10 and watered deeply. Any theories on why a squash would stop flowing despite looking healthy and producing well early in the season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

3 ripe squash in zone 7? That is surprising, when did you plant them? I just put in seeds last weekend.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 9:25PM
barnhardt9999(8a)

Took a gamble and started seeds end of Feb. Put them in ground around March 15th. Got nipped a little by by light frost twice in mid April but they were so big they recovered easily. We were frost free from about Feb. 15th to Apr. 15th. I'm on the border or zone 7 and 8 in Charlotte, NC. I have ripe summer squash, tomatoes, pumpkins (starting to turn), and cucumbers too. Very unusual... I had backup seeds and expected to use them but never had to.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 7:07AM
weirdtrev

I'm jealous, I'm glad you took advantage of the nice warm winter we had. You should be able to get multiple crops in this year of some of that stuff. So from the sound of things you are pretty far along. I can't give you a good reason why that happened to your plants, but I will tell you that sometimes plants seem to rest after fruit set but then pick back up. This normally happens towards the end of summer, but you have a huge head start. Are there more flower buds growing? There is no rule that plants abide to that forces them to flower every day. Be happy and be patient if your plants are healthy.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 8:10AM
farmerdill

If it is a vining type, are the vines still putting on growth. Bush types will sometimes set a second crop (SVB permitting) but they are not as long bearing as vine types.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 6:58PM
barnhardt9999(8a)

Found the culprit - shortly after the last post the plant started wilting a little bit. Pulled it out today and found a couple large squash vine borers. The stress was probably enough to keep it for putting out new flowers.

They got my pumpkin, all my spaghetti squash and all my summer squash too. Hoping I can save the pumpkin after taking off 3 vines (2 left) and cutting open the base, removing the SVB and burying. Very disappointed.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™