Blue fascue flowers

clarendonMay 9, 2011

Hi.

My blue fascues are doing fine, although I haven't pruned them this spring (didn't know they needed pruning). Should I prune them by 1/3 now? Or if I just let them grow without pruning, will they turn ugly later this season?

They have started producing flowers, and they don't look very pretty. Would it be OK if I pull them all out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Blue Fescue is a cool season grass which should have been cut back to just a few inches a couple of months ago, before it started this year's growth.

If you don't like the flower stems, you can cut the whole thing back now, and it should put out a new flush of foliage before the heat of summer begins. I'm speaking of zone 7 and cooler zones, since I don't know what zone you're in.

It'll try to bloom again after a couple of months, and you can do the same thing again.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 2:47PM
clarendon

Thanks, donn.

Are you recommending that I prune them now? I am not clear whether you are talking about cutting back just the flowers or cutting back the whole plants. They are looking beautiful now, and I would hate to lose that by pruning. If I don't prune them (whole plants) now, will they turn ugly later on? They were planted just last fall as little plants, so I'm not sure if they really need to be pruned this season.

About the flowers, can I just PULL them out rather than cut them back? They pull out quite easily. Will this damage the plants, though?

My zone is 8, as you told me last time.

Thank you very much.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 5:42PM
donn_(7b-8a)

If you pull out all the flower stalks, you may damage the plants. Leave them until the flower stalks start to turn brown just under the seed heads. Then prune the plants back. This will prevent most of the re-seeding, and the plants will throw up new foliage in short order.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 6:02PM
clarendon

Thanks.

I will go ahead and prune them after a short while. When they flower again in a few months, I should prune them again?

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 5:31PM
donn_(7b-8a)

If you don't like the look of the flower heads, and don't want them to self sow, you should follow the same cycle.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Sponsored Products
Paris Dining Armchair in Blue
$160.00 | LexMod
Cloud Blue 22 x 22 Pleated Pillow
$27.60 | Bellacor
King Sateen Duvet Cover 110" x 96" - DECO WHITE
$299.99 | Horchow
Cairo Indoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
Dusk Blue Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Little Bedding by NoJo Baby Buccaneer 3 pc. Set - 6668276
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Han-woven Eagle Spa Blue Wool Rug (4' x 10')
Overstock.com
12-Bottle Dual Zone Wine Cellar
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™