zucchini look really bad

engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)June 9, 2008

I planted 4 yellow squash, and 4 zucchini in the same area - and watered everything indentically, of course.The yellow squash plants are thriving,but the zucchini leaves are turning white around the very edges- then they turn brown and die.This doesn't make any sense to me.Do they have different needs from yellow squash? Please help me figure this out....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nick123(z4b / sunset 44)

The description of your zucchini leaves makes me think of bacterial canker or some other bacterial disease. A fairly safe prevention of bacterial infections is Bordeaux mixture. A fairly safe treatment for bacterial infections on plants is 1 part iodine tincture mixed with 10 parts water sprayed onto the plants 2-3x per day until symptoms are resolved. You may find that that cultivar of zucchini just isn't suited for your region. Squash are extremely variable in disease resistance and growth habits between cultivars. What grows well for someone in one area may not be the best cultivar in another area. You may want to try growing a different cultivar next year.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 11:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

thanks for the info, nick

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™