Ground Cover That Snakes Don't Like!!

walt1(7 a)May 30, 2005

Is there a ground cover that snakes do not like? I have small children in the neigborhood and would like to plant something that would keep them away (the snakes that is...LOL). Does anyone know of a website that might address this issue?

Please Help!,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

This is a new one! There are deer resistant plants and rabbit resistant plants, and recently I even found out that there are peacock resistant plants-----but I never heard of snake resistant plants! It'll be interesting to see if somebody has some ideas.

I could definitely recommend some kid resistant plants, but I guess that won't help!

Good luck,
Skybird

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 11:02PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

It would be very unlikely that you would run into one of the three or so species of poisonous snakes. The vast majority are helpful, but I really have given up on getting the word out. Groundcovers are truly attractive to all of them and the pests they eat.

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 11:19PM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

the only thing that will keeps snakes out is constant foot traffic... but bogturtle's totally right. it's way more important to teach childen about the ecology than to protect them from it...and watching the little racer snakes is a fascinating way to spend an afternoon that doesn't involve a remote controll or a gameboy.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™