New pumpkin garden

jimjancoJune 10, 2009

hello - first time pumpking grower here (actually, my six year old son really wanted his own pumpkin this halloween, so that's why we got started).

in any case, i think my pumpklin isnt off to a great start. it was thriving indoors through the spring - but now that we have planted it outside, it seems to not be growing as much. some stats:

-gets daily water

-6-8 hrs of sun each day

-dirt was sandy but we added some new garden dirt (miracle grow) to help

anything obvious im missing?

ive also planted some of those little pumpkin plants - they seem to be doing really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictres

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

Just be patient. The plants are growing like crazy but it is all underground. They are at a stage where the plants seem to rest while the roots grow. Don't worry very soon they will start vining and completely taking over your garden.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 6:39AM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Starting the plant inside and transplanting it was probably the problem.

Pumpkins, and cucurbits in general, hate to have their roots disturbed and suffer badly from transplant shock.

If they've been there for a couple weeks and have lived this long they'll probably take off and start growing any time now.

The best addition to your sandy soil is compost. You can also put a wide ring of compost around the plant, but away from the stems themselves. Pumpkins are "heavy feeders" and like to be fed with compost that way several times during the season.

I can't tell from the picture, is your sand the beach sand type (white or yellow with rounded grains all about the same size), or the glacial till type (a grubby-looking grey or brown with sharp grains of different sizes that seem to be made of different minerals)?

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:37AM
macmex

Weirdtrev is probably correct, and it'll snap out of it. Though, I really prefer to plant seed directly in the garden. It generally does better. In most of NJ you still have at least a week or two more that you can still direct seed and harvest most pumpkins before frost. So, if you have any doubt, you might plant a few more seeds, directly into the garden soil.

George
Tahlequah, OK (formerly of NJ)

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™