groundcover for a swingset area?

arylkin(5b, south of Chicago)May 15, 2013

We're looking to put up a swingset in the backyard, A landscaper friend of my husband's has just recommended using rubber playground mulch underneath it, which I am not a fan of.

Is there a low growing groundcover that will withstand foot traffic and not need to be mowed that would be reasonable for under a swingset?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Use a natural mulch or sand or pea gravel (anything natural and non- treated) and save yourself the grief of worrying about plants there. Most "foot traffic" plants can with stand a light step here and there, not the constant pounding and scraping and falling down of kids playing. IMO that's just asking for ugly unhappy plants.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 7:05AM
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

Is there a low growing groundcover that will withstand foot traffic and not need to be mowed that would be reasonable for under a swingset?

No. Try sand or wood chips.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:19PM
gardengal48

The rubber playground mulch is ideal for this purpose. In my area we also sell a wood product called play chips that are a barkless, sliverless wood product.

Turf grasses - lawns - hold up to foot traffic better than just about any other type of groundcover and even these won't survive under a swingset.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Please help with Bugleweed!
I planted 12 small Chocolate Chip Ajuga that I picked...
bgaviator
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™