New Florida Beekeeping Law?

brute(Florida 9B)May 5, 2012

I've heard there is going to be a new law going into effect July 1st in Florida called the "Right To Farm Act".

From what I hear, this law allows the State to supercede all local ordinances against beekeeping in residential areas. Me and Sarasota County Code Enforcement have been going round and round on this issue for years.

This looks like my chance to finally start a couple of hives on my property. My neighbors all support me.

There have been times when I've seen no bees for months at a time, yet my fruit trees and vegetable plants are covered with flowers, just begging to be pollinized.

At those times, all my hopes lie with the nocturnal activities of moths.

I'm studying the art of beekeeping as fast as I can, and by July I should pretty much know what to buy and where to find it.

Anybody else here planning to take the plunge?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I have no law here preventing me from raising them and they have been on my to do list for some time now. Hopefully soon as I finish a few ongoing projects.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 3:09PM
tinael01(10A)

I'm so torn!! We have a lot of rentals and we've had problems with agressive bees on several occasions. While I want to support the bees, I worry every time I walk past the 4-H club that the bees there have been africanized and I will be a target. I know - the stuff of my nightmares. I watched that movie - was it the Bees or the Swarm or something, at 12. In the night the hiway noise came up the hill and rattled around in a hollow tree in our yard. I went under the bed and used books to hold the covers down all the way around the bed so the bees couldn't get to me. It makes me laugh now - but at the time I was terrified. Anyway, I'm a gardener and I need bees too. I am just confused!

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 6:17PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

The way I read it only applies to agricultural exempt farms. A revision to right to farm that has been around a long time for farmers.

Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill changes

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
Mulch around bushes?
I was just at one of the better garden centers here...
echobelly
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™