Nominees please

sandandsun(9a FL)July 31, 2009

Please nominate a perennial that blooms all season or most of it. Please make this from personal experience which would include observation of friends/neighbors/area plants.

Excluded from consideration:

All trees

All shrubs

All roses

All tropicals unless rated hardy to Zone 7

All salvias (sages)

All cupheas (those roly-poly little bat faced girls)

All echinaceas (coneflowers)

All monardas (bee balms)

All hemerocallis (daylilies)

I can't wait to see the nominees!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mk87

Scabiosa (I like "Butterfly Blue, personally) is one of my favorites. If you deadhead it pretty regularly, it will just bloom and bloom and bloom...and, oh by the way...BLOOM. If you DON'T deadhead it...it's still going to bloom, just not as much. In fact, it has even bloomed a little bit during the WINTER where I live!

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 12:03PM
vroomp(z7Ga)

You aren't excluding Cannas? They start early and finish late. Dianthus (Fire Witch) seem to bloom for an extended period then recede a bit and bloom again. Hybiscus syriacus, Rose of Sharon bloom continuously during the season but, are deciduous. Ice Plant blooms all season long. I like these giant Black Eyed Susan looking things. I have heard they were Rudbeckia but, the basal leaves are large even for R. hirta and the flower production is non-stop so, I am unsure as to actual species. I first purchased these at Home Depot for a job, just to fill in a small empty space. They were listed as an annual for $4.75. After the first year they reproduced several more plants from seeds and, the originals returned as well so, I brought a couple home. They have been blooming steadily since early June. The flowers are about five inches across and the plants get about two feet tall.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 12:33PM
davidcf(7 GA)

Goldsturm Rudbeckia looks really good, just about all season long. In my case, after about 2 years, my local deer herd decided to eat it to the ground. Repeatedly.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 3:10PM
mkrkmr

Ditto on the Goldsturm Rudbeckia. Also, my phlox carolina is still flowering (since May). So is lonicera sempervirens, though its really only showy in spring. A rare thing in natives, which is what I tend to have, other than roses and veggies.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 9:16PM
mayland

There is a thread on the Cottage Garden forum with some good suggestions too...

Here is a link that might be useful: CG thread

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™