Where to buy mulberry trees?

liligoat(7b GA)July 27, 2014

I've found places selling them online but haven't seen them anywhere for pick-up. Had bad experiences with plants being shipped and want to avoid that if possible. I'm in the area West of Atlanta.
Also, when do you think is the ideal time to purchase/transplant mulberry trees?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thatcompostguy

I've had decent luck with some I bought bare root online from Willis. I know some people here don't like Willis. I bought a Persian, a Black Beauty, and a Red and the red didn't survive. Something ran over it and broke it, then something else kept chewing it off until it finally gave up. I don't think it was the tree itself. They were all small.

I ordered two white mulberries from somewhere else and they're both going great! They were cheap, $7 or 8 each.

None have started producing yet, but I don't think the local wild ones were even productive this year either.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:47AM
liligoat(7b GA)

Thanks Chris. I've been considering giving Willis a try because they're the cheapest I've seen so far. They don't have Illinois Everbearing though. Wanted that one to try and reproduce for a future place in zone 4. Do you know where you might have gotten the white mulberries?

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:31AM
thatcompostguy

Stark Bros has Illinois Everbearing right now for $26 plus S&H. Ships in the fall.

The white mulberries came from Miller Nursery, which is now part of Stark Bros. $8.75 each in 2010. I don't see them listed now on Stark's site.

I just found this nursery with a wider selection of mulberries than I've ever seen...

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Ridge Nursery

This post was edited by chrisb_sc_z7 on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 8:58

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™