Pollinating C. moschata with C. maxima?

sazji(8bNW Turkey)July 20, 2009

I have an odd problem; everyone talks about female flowers not coming on but on my C. moschata "Futsu" plants I have exactly the opposite problem. The plants are growing great guns, and I have two female flowes, one opened today, the other probably tomorrow or the next day. There are lots of male flowers forming on the vines as well, but they are growing slowly and are way behind the females. I tried pollinating the first female with pollen from a C. maxima just to get fruit. I've read that the seed from this cross is usually sterile, but does the pollination generally work for the purposes of getting a fruit? I suppose I'll know in a day or two but does anyone have any experience. If I do get seed I'll plant some; I think a Futsu x Marina di Chioggia could be a very nice squash.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Cross pollination of these two species has been done, however the process is patented. As far as I know only Sakata has used it. As I understand the pollen from one species is chemically treated to make it acceptable to the other species. I doubt that it will work in a natural setting, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 7:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sazji(8bNW Turkey)

Well, it seems to have worked; the fruit is already the size of a small apple! It remains to be seen if it will actually mature it though. And of course if it will be worth it - I keep reading about the Futsu's "hazelnut" taste but people who've tried them say they couldn't taste anything like that. I also see conflicting reports on Rouge Vif d'Etampes - some say deliciously sweet smooth flesh, others say fibrous and not very sweet. Of the ones I'm growing, Marina di Chioggia is the only one I've read consistenly good things about!

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Need some answers to Butternut Squash Questions
Hey! So this is my first time growing B. squash, and...
jac15
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Sponsored Products
Wedgwood Sterling Square Salad Plate - 50171701062
$44.00 | Hayneedle
Wedgwood Patina Platinum Covered Sugar Bowl - 5C11242212
$130.00 | Hayneedle
Wedgwood Jasper Conran Bone China Plain Salad Plate - White - Set of 4 - WEDG629
$80.00 | Hayneedle
Wedgwood Pashmina Gravy Boat Stand - 5C106903101
$90.00 | Hayneedle
Hanging Beehive
$14.99 | zulily
Wedgwood Equestria 5 Piece Place Setting - 5C11260001
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Wedgwood Jasper Conran Earthenware Tea Saucer - Cream - Set of 4 - WEDG650
$44.00 | Hayneedle
Wedgwood Jasper Conran Bone China Plain Teacup - White - Set of 4 - WEDG633
$80.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™