Brown tips on grasses

OKGirl80May 28, 2011

I've planted Pennisetum 'Rubrum' and 4 Miscanthus (either Adagio or Morning Lights) over the last couple weeks. I noticed this morning the tips are starting to turn brown. Since planting, we've had a lot of storms and rain, but all are planted in good soil with pretty good drainage. Is this just shock from planting or do I have another problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

It's probably transplant shock. Even with abundant rain, newly installed plants have trouble taking in water unless their rootballs are soaked every day. They've been happily living in a greenhouse, being watered at least daily, and now are trying to make better root systems to cope with living on their own.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 6:34AM
OKGirl80

I sure hope so! Would hate to lose $100 worth of plants. I don't really have the money to replace them this year if they don't come around. How long before I should see an improvement?

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:34PM
donn_(7b-8a)

The browned tips will last until you cut the plants back next spring, but the plants should be ok. If some blades die back more than half, you can cut off the brown. Cut them at an angle, because some of them will continue to grow in length, but will have whatever shape end you leave on them.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:57PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Pennisetum 'Rubrum' is hardy in OK?

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 12:17PM
OKGirl80

No, not unless we have a mild winter. But I like it, and wasn't having any luck finding the Pennisetum species so I bought these in the mean time. Most likely they will be replaced with the species or Hameln next year

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 2:43PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Just curious. I can't grow it here and you are colder than me.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 7:37PM
donn_(7b-8a)

I grow it as an annual. Our summer is just hot enough, and fall stays warm due to the influence of the bay. I get good height and good blooms, and as long as I can get them cheaply, it's worth the expense.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™