Myrtle

fernsk(z2 Canada)June 16, 2006

I bought some Bowles Variety Myrtle because it looked so pretty - I was going to use it as "the trailing plant" in a container but when I got it home read that it is a "stunning ground cover". Has anyone ever used it as such? I am planting a new bed and would like to include some interesting ground covers along the edge - to keep soil from spilling onto the concrete walk/patio area. This is so pretty but does it form a "mat"? Thanks for any info

Fern

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Vinca minor makes a wonderful groundcover in the right setting. I use a variegated form in my woodland garden and it has formed a dense, weedproof mat about 8-10" thick. For best results IME, it needs a rather good soil, part shade and regular watering. Be advised that many folks find vinca rather aggressive and planting it in an area where it can creep into natural areas should probably be avoided. I find it extremely easy to remove if it reaches further than wanted, fully evergreen in my climate and covered with perwinkle blue flowers in late spring.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Please help with Bugleweed!
I planted 12 small Chocolate Chip Ajuga that I picked...
bgaviator
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
ajuga over Daffodil bulbs?
I am getting conflicting information about whether...
pink_petals
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™