soft groundcovers

sakmeht(Zone 6)June 5, 2007

I'm thinking about putting in birdsfoot trefoil and rupturewort in my backyard along with my clover. I also like the look of Mazus reptans 'Purple',... does anyone have experience with any of these? I really want a soft, low growing groundcover, but if these are soft when mowed, then that would be great. I certainly don't want to be walking on pokey stems. I have a toddler and when we keep the flowers on the clover mowed, the bees aren't a problem. Actually, with our shoes on the bees just fly around us. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancedar(z7NC)

Groundcover sized Sedums would work with light foot traffic, full to mostly sun, well drained - i.e., pea gravelly loose soil.

Mazus takes light foot traffic and blooms in spring if it is in mostly shade. It dies back to dead in sun. I use it under my shade loving shrubs instead of mulch.

Neither of these need mowing and neither are toxic. Something you might want to consider with a toddler.

Birdsfoot trefoil and roots of rupturewort are toxic if eaten by little ones.

Nancy the nancedar

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 8:02PM
laurabs(7b)

I have mazus in the sun and it does fine, but it's in amended soil. My only problem is that in the sun, certain weeds grow up through it, the worst one being that clover look-alike, wood sorrel. It is soft, though.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 12:12AM
candleberry(7 B.C.)

I love walking on wooley thyme! Great weed control and spreads like mad. really soft. I walk on it, kneel on it and if the patch is big enough I would probably sleep on it!

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™