Anyone successfully overwinter Purple Fountain Grass?

shelli563(zone 6 MA)May 4, 2009

I overwintered 6 clumps in my attic and brought them outdoors to acclimate a few weeks ago. So far, no signs of life. Should I see something by now? Anyone successfully overwinter?

Shelli

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I've never tried to hold them over, but they are a real warm-weather lover. Even if they did survive, I wouldn't look for much action until the weather warms up substantially. I grow them as annuals, and they don't kick into high gear until June-July.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 5:35PM
ei_ei_o(6a)

I haven't had luck either. I am a zone 6-er. I also placed a plant in my basement, it is now outside and showing no signs of life. I don't expect anything from it now but I had to try!

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 4:18PM
steve1young(7A)

I took mine in one fall and grew it as a houseplant. It lost it's purple coloring, but it added some interesting texture to my houseplant collection that winter. I planted it in the garden the next spring and it took off as usual.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 3:52PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I also tried them as houseplants. Bought on clearance for a $1 in September, thought it was worth a try. One died within a month, the other died in January right after producing a few plumes. I'm assuming they are dead although I will bring them out this week and sees what happens.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 9:28AM
steve1young(7A)

I should have mentioned that they don't like full sun if you grow them indoors ... just bright indirect.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 3:42PM
judi51(Zone 5)

I also overwintered Purple Fountain grass as a houseplant, quite successfully. As mentioned above, I placed in front of a large, north-facing window and it did great, with minimal watering. I cut it back in mid-May and placed it outdoors and it is sending up new growth nicely. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 12:42PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Awesome thread and tips from judi and steve! Glad I saw this thread. I will put this in my notes too. I guess, it should also be added that they should be dug before frost kills them. It's my first time growing them too! :)

Thanks folks!

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™