Part-sun GC that out-competes grass?

sujiwan_gwJune 19, 2009

I'v e been reading some of the other posts about planting ditches and recommendations for groundcovers for under rose bushes. Which groundcovers can out-compete vigorous grass?

A swale was put in behind my property and the developer blew some sort of grass seed w/fertilizer all over every surface to stabilize the raw soil. It's quite tall stuff with wider blades than fescue. I planted shrub roses at the top of the swale after pulling up grass and putting down 4+ inches of mulch. The grass keeps running rhizomes up and over into the bed and I haven't found a way to totally keep the grass out.

What ground covers may work for me? The area gets both sun and part-sun exposures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

sujiwan- I have some of that grass from hell, it's very hard to deal with. A black plastic barrier or weed fabric might suppress it over time, or it might find chinks to grow through. I think killing it out would be your best bet.

A gc I have that is tougher than grass is ground cover Comfrey, Symphytum grandiflorum. I haven't tried it under roses, just under fruit trees. It gets around 6-12" tall. Vinca major once established is tougher than most grasses, though some can seed into it. It gets rather tall, though. Most of my other good gc lets grass grow up through it, so it's really hard to get rid of the grass- Vinca minor, Rubus calycinoides, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, etc. Mulching really deeply to partially smother the grass and partially make it easier to pull out might help.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ked1985
Sponsored Products
Altdeutsche Clock by Moooi
$4,539.00 | Lumens
David Bromstad "Dairy Kween" Artwork
Grandin Road
Riviera Double Outdoor Ottoman Cover
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Rubbed Oil Bronze Eclectic Tempo Triple Wall Sconce with Double Glass: Clear Out
$169.10 | Bellacor
LZF | Anfora Table Lamp
YLighting
Couristan Outdoor Escape Pacific Heights Indoor / Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 21238
$59.00 | Hayneedle
8'x10' Oriental Rug Washed Out Khotan Hand Knotted 100 Percent Wool Sh20543
1800 Get A Rug
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Earley
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™