Mass-planting or bunching?

planter-in-tuckerJuly 21, 2009

I'm about to receive an enormous number of crocosmia corms. My plan is to fill two garden beds... approximately 1,000 s.f. total.

I'm wondering about the best way to plant them: Should I cover the entire area, planting each corm 6-10" apart... or should I plant them in clumps? If I choose clumps, how many per clump and how far apart should I space each clump? Either way, the idea is to eventually blanket both gardens with crocosmia.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki7(z7 N.Ga.)

If it were me, I would definitely plant them in several 'groupings' or clumps, leaving a little space between them. That way, you'll be able to walk through the area to pull weeds, etc. without stepping on your plants. Sounds like it will be just beautiful...
Vicki

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 1:00PM
opal52(z7b GA)

You may know this already, just wanted to say Crocosmia multiply really fast. I have them in clumps mixed in with other perennials and have to pull them aggressively in spring when they come up. Otherwise, they invade the space of the other plants.

The idea of having a huge display in dedicated gardens sounds beautiful and the hummingbirds will love you.

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 4:26PM
rjinga

I too got a whole bunch of these plants/bulbs and unfortunately I'm a chronic procrastinator and they have been left out, I tried to keep water on the bag to keep them from cooking. The green has turned brown...

are they pretty forgiving? If I go ahead and plant them, cut the green (I mean brown ;) off will they come back around?

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™