Dying Plants?

sneed(7)July 26, 2011

I planted 3 Jack-o-Lantern pumpkin plants May 29 here in Queens, NY. They started growing 4-6 leaves. We had a week long heat wave. They are all wilting and dying and the vines are only about a foot long. Each day I water them for only about 2 minutes on a low hose setting in the morning and the evening. Is this too much or too little water for a heat wave? Why are they dying? Here is a picture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

My first thought is that they are not getting enough sun planted that close to the fence.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 3:39PM
sneed(7)

They are in direct sunlight most of the day.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 7:06PM
taxtax

I have planted many Jack O'Lanterns in the shade and never had a problem with them.

Are you sure they are dying, or just afraid that they look like they are dying?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 2:23AM
terrybull

i put this on your other post.

looks like if the sun is reflecting off that white fence they are getting cooked. put something up on the fence to absorb some heat. also you could be watering too much. try watering in the morning really good and not in the evening

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 9:28AM
sneed(7)

Let me ask this. We have had no rain in weeks except for a few short blasts. When I water the plants I stand 10 feet away and the hose is set to a wide spray. I spray them for about 45 seconds and that's it because puddles form and I heard you should stop watering when puddles form. Am I under or over watering them?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 3:10PM
weirdtrev

I just noticed this, are they transplants? Those plants are very small for being 2 months old. Pumpkins don't transplant well. If they have more than just the seed leaves when you transplant the pumpkins will often suffer and grow slowly if at all.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 4:11PM
sneed(7)

I bought them from Gardenworld May 29 as small plants. They were growing big but receded. Am I overwatering or underwatering? Are they starved for water or drowning?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™