Snakes in vinca groundcover? Other anti-snake recommendations?

almattJune 21, 2007

I read a previous posting about snakes groundcover, and the reaction generally was, "Nature's wonderful, let the kiddies enjoy exploring the snakes." Generally, I agree, but that won't fly here, because the snakes in question are copperheads.

I have a part-shade, sloping bed that I was going to plant with periwinkle for erosion control (and I think vinca's pretty). But then my neighbor mentioned that they'd killed two copperhead snakes that week (we're in the Washington, DC suburbs).

Would a low ground cover such as vinca provide the type of hiding place a snake likes?

Are there better alternatives that look good, hold back erosion and don't encourage snakes?

I really don't want poisonous snakes in the yard where my kid plays, so if I can avoid turning my yard into a snake-friendly habitat, I'd be curious for any suggestions.

Thanks for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
candleberry(7 B.C.)

I don't have a solution but I do have vinca.... my non poisonous snakes love the stuff.

what about really thick matting groundcovers like wooley thyme that spreads extremly fast and other thymes. great weed contolers too. I don't know much about copperheads but I believe they are too thick to hide under things like that.
My snakes love rock piles and branch piles and empty pots, anything they can get under.

Good luck. I will be interested to know what other people say.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 11:27PM
wayne_mo(MO)

The low ground cover will attract snakes. How much do you trust your neighbor's identification? There are many snakes that people mistakenly identify as copperheads. The mountains of Northwestern Maryland are the main suitable habitat in Maryland. I suppose its possible they could be in the outer suburbs of DC. They can do o.k. in suburban areas if the habitat is suitable.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 10:15AM
wayne_mo(MO)

I looked into some pretty specific county level snake data and it appears that many of the DC area counties do support a few small isolated copperhead populations, so I retract my skepticism of your neighbor's id of the snakes (Looks like I need to go looking more the next time I'm visiting relatives in Montgomery County)

Unfortunately I can't think of any vegetation that won't be a potentially attractive place for snakes. Even if you plant nothing at all, nature holds no guarantees so it's a matter of how important a slight reduction in risk of snakebite from very low to very very low is and how important having an attractive natural yard is.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
Please help with Bugleweed!
I planted 12 small Chocolate Chip Ajuga that I picked...
bgaviator
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™