Cucucci Gourd ....what's happening?

noodeler(8b)July 13, 2005

I have 4 Cucucci's planted on a large mound. They're growing all over my 6 foot privacy fence like crazy. They look fantastic. HOWEVER...Every little baby cucucci gourd that forms behind the flower turns yellow and drops. This has probably happened a couple dozen times. I have identified both male and female flowers but it seems like they don't last long.

I dunno. 'preciate any advice. Part of me thinks that if I just keep holding out they'll form...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gourd_girl

Sounds like they are not getting pollinated. Have you tried hand pollinating?

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 11:51AM
wert9wert(z10FL)

What's a cucucci gourd? If you have a picture, I'd sure like to see it.

I have a lot of male flowers, the majority of which stay open all day. The females only open at night, so in the morning just when the sun comes up, I go out and hand pollinate any females that are still partially open. So far I've successfully pollinated five gourds.

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 6:54PM
noodeler(8b)

Yeah, I keep meaning to try the hand pollinating but by the time I get to them in the morning they're closed up.

I'd love to provide a picture...maybe once I get them to pollinate I'll have a specimin to photograph.

They're long and skinny, linght green, small ones fuzzy. I use them a lot like Zuke/crookneck squash. Best when about 8-12 inches long. They can get about 3 feet. Great in stews, pan sautaed, stir fryed ect...

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Courge-Fri
Courge-fritter in palm butter are far more healthy...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™