Ice Plant

rosanne4153June 13, 2006

I have ice plant covering the hill behind my home. It's been there since we moved here, which was 17 years ago. In the past few months, I've noticed that it's dying. About 75% of it is dead and I can't figure out why. It's important for it to be there since it provides stability to the hill, and because of it we've never had mudslides into our backyard. There is also a house at the top of that hill, and the people in that home are kind of worried since the plant is dying. The hill is our property, so we're responsible for doing something about it. I know something needs to be done, but I don't know what. Will extra watering of it bring it back or is it too late once it's dead? Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbgardener

A few years ago, I noticed that a lot of plants along my fence were dying. I am quite sure it was due to the neighbor using a lawn service that used weed killers. Some of my goldfish also died after the lawn service man did his thing. I told the neighbor I wanted to be there the next time that man came. He never showed up!
If you have an Extension Service in your area where you could send or take a soil sample would also be helpful.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 7:49PM
rosanne4153

If we need to plant something on the hill to replace the ice plant that died, should we just use ice plant again, or is there something else you can suggest? And if we do plant ice plant, how do we do that? Do we buy seeds, or do we just cut some off of the remaining ice plant and plant those cuttings in the bare areas on the hill? Thanks again for any suggestions.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 10:03PM
domehome(9 CA)

There's a possibility that your ice plant is just dying of old age. You can easily replant with cuttings. Cut off some newer growing plant ends - long enough to get at least two leaf nodes sections underground. Pinch off the leaves on the underground part of the cutting and just stick it in the ground. Spray the cuttings daily for a few weeks or until it is obvious they are doing well. Ice plant cuttings grow really well. You might consider buying some other colors of ice plant and making the hillside more interesting. I don't envy the amount of work it will take to remove the old ice plant but if it's dead - it's dead . . . and should be removed.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 2:27AM
More Discussions
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™