should fountain grass have come back by now???

pamalejuanita(z5 Michigan)May 1, 2005

It's still cold here in Michigan ... 35 today ... But I am wondering if my fountain grasses croaked or if they are just waiting for warm weather & warm soil? My reed grass & zebra grasses are jammin', but no sign of life from the fountain grasses which were planted last year. Anyone know what I should expect in zone 5?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackie57(z5 NY Broome Co)

My fountain grass is late as well..be patient...they will come out when it warms up

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 11:16AM
laurelann

Mine don't really start until well into May, and this year has been cooler, so it may take a bit longer. Patience!

Laurel

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 4:26PM
ShirleyD(z4b WI)

No sign of mine yet either! I just planted them last summer so I don't really know what to expect. I'm hoping they'll re-appear soon - they're too expensive to replace every year.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 7:09PM
pamalejuanita(z5 Michigan)

Thank you all for your suggestions to be patient. I probably would have dug them up by now, but today I saw green shoots coming from each of them!!! Thanks again!

Pam

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 7:11PM
glad2garden(5, Chicopee, Mass)

I was wondering the same thing about mine. They were so beautiful last year, but so far they are just a tan color. I sure hope they come back!

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 7:27PM
dawgie(z7NC)

I live much further south than you, in NC, and my fountain grass is just starting to sprout. It seems to be very late this year.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 8:01AM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

I planted three fountains last year and so far maudry and my full size fountain grass are green ~ but my hamlen is still brown. :( I'm crossing my fingers on it... it was a gorgeous plant last year.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 12:40PM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

I planted out some divisions of Fountain Grass last fall and mine started coming up about 1 month ago here in Eastern WA, but at about 3" they slowed way down and haven't done much. Also put in some Karl Foerster grass divisions at the same time and they are coming up great!

Vera

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 9:21PM
blackie57(z5 NY Broome Co)

News flash...walking around today after some unseasonable warm weather, the first signs of ALL my warm season grasses have begun to appear. Guess the fountain grasses just needed some warmth to break their dormancy.

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Experience with Panicum 'Northwind?'
Hello, I have a spot in my front foundation bed I am...
petal_88
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™