skin reaction to miscanthus?

diygardener(z6/NJ)May 31, 2006

Has anyone else experienced this? I just planted two miscanthus adagio--the sharp blades must have scratched my arms because now I have burning welts all over them! Have applied aloe which seems to be cooling things down. I just did a google search but only came up with one vague reference to this problem. Had no idea planting grass could be so treacherous!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

The edges of many grasses are sharp. My husband and I both cut our hands and arms the first time we cut them back after the winter. Not quite a burning welt, but nasty scratches.

My daughter gets rashes from playing on certain lawns from the grass, so I wouldn't be surprised if ornamental grass can cause allergies too.

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 8:37PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Not allergies (except for from pollen) but mechanical damage -- that is, scratches from those fine sawtooth-edged blades.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:32AM
rldillard121(z9FL)

This morning I removed old blades from my red fountain grass and it does the same thing to me. It also irritated my skin when I first planted it. I find that washing my arms off and applying hydrocortizone helps.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 7:56AM
diygardener(z6/NJ)

They look so pretty in the garden that I guess it was worth the "burn," but when it comes time to divide them in the future I think I'll give the job to dh--or wear long sleeves and rubber gloves!

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:32PM
donn_(7b-8a)

They make gauntlet gloves, especially for Rose growers, which protect your forearms. If they work for Rose thorns, they'll work for grass. I have to use arm covers, which go from wrist to armpit, to clear English Ivy. It affects me the same way Poison Ivy does, and I still have a lot to eradicate. Even after killing it with RoundUp, I get contact dermatitis from it.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 1:19PM
foxglove(Zone 5)

I've reacted the same way to my miscanthus. I planted three last summer and got a few nasty scratches on my forearms, which turned red and burned. I now wear long sleeves when I touch miscanthus.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 3:17PM
LHK46

Really late to this post. Miscanthus adagio causes skin reactions because each blade has tiny, spike-like hairs on them. Wear long sleeves when trimming them or after working with them immediately take a ball of tape, using an up and down motion on your arms or take tape and press it flat on your arms and then remove it...do it several times....this removes the offending spikes. My arms did the same thing after I planted my first adagio...the tape really works! Of course I never planted any more....and now I wear long-sleeves when cutting back the one I have.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 11:25AM
netcub(5)

Interesting... I was going the the grasses at Meijer today and my arms were itching for hours.... Like I had 20 mosquito bites.... I thought something must have eaten me up at the store... and then I ran across this thread!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Sponsored Products
Design Element B72-VS Stanton 72-in. Double Bathroom Vanity Set - B72-VS
Hayneedle
"Zebra Hide" Rug
$829.00 | Horchow
International Caravan Aluminum 10-foot Patio Umbrella
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Nourison Overstock Rugs Prestige Multicolor 2
$25.00 | Home Depot
Voglauer | V Alpin Wool Upholstered Bench
YLiving.com