Where to take my business

tlevins(7)July 24, 2013

Being new to gardening, I don't know where to go to purchase the plants I want (Im not sure if these plants are common around here since they're not sold at your average pikes/home depot/lowes). Im located 45 mins North of Atlanta. Anyone have recommendations? Most places that would probably carry these plants sell wholesale - not privately. Do I need to hire someone? I'm so new at this! I'm looking for a Ceanothus shrub, Sambucus, and a variety of Euphorbia plants. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

The Ceanothus and Euphorbia don't seem to be hardy in our area according to the Dave's Garden web site. I like the looks of the Ceanothus and would love to have one if it would grow here.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:42PM
esh_ga

If you mean Ceanothus americanus it is perfectly hardy here and is indigenous (native) to the area. But it is hard to find anyone but native plant nurseries selling it. The Georgia Native Plant Society has a sale in spring every year in Marietta and we usually have some there.

Sambucus is always a little tricky to find if you are looking for the straight species. It can be a bit too rambunctious for ordinary gardens. If you are looking for the cultivars, most nurseries have them these days but I am not sure that they produce berries.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:04PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Woodlanders nursery is probably farther north than you may like, but they are fantastic. Just over the GA border in Aiken, SC

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlanders

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 2:28PM
Chris-7b-GA(7b)

Check with Kennemore Nursery, they are near the 400 and McFarland exit in south Forsyth Co. and have a large selection of plants.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™