Delosperma cooperii - Iceplant transplant ?

mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)June 22, 2009

I'm new to this type of plant. How often should it be watered as a transplant? It was potted in a small 4 inch plastic pot.

I did plant it in poor, dry soil that is mounded a bit, thinking that would be more to it's liking but we live in central Arkansas, where the days are now in upper 90's to 100 with high humidity. The plant's potting soil looked like the typical mix usually found in purchased plants, nothing unusual looking.

Will it wilt and droop when it needs a drink or shrivel up or should I give it a bit of water each day while it's so hot and it is getting established? I've read that it is very hardy and grows in southern California on dry banks so it must not require much water. I'm also curious about how it spreads if it's sitting on such dry soil, as I suspect it roots at the leaf nodes on the runners?

Such pretty bright blooms, just don't want to kill it before I have a chance to enjoy. :-)

My thanks for your advice.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karate626(7A Maryland)

I never watered my ice plant when I planted it. I wouldn't advise that though. It was just a inch long cutting when I planted it 2 years ago. It rooted the first year, started to grow more the 2nd year, and this year it started to bloom and spread. I think that succulents don't need as much water as other plant types. I would say weekly waterings wouldn't be harmful and could only help the plant. It has such wonderful blooms and is so easy to propagate. My only negative thought on this plant is I need to weed the ice plant bed often. Good luck with it!

Karate626

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 2:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donvon

I saw the ice plants in CA as well and had to find them when I returned to AL. The yellow ones were hard to find, but I did get some so I promptly planted them and watered the heck out of them for a few days. They started to shrivel up and die so when I asked the nursery owner, he said to plant them and forget about them. At the most water them once a week. Since doing that, they are growing nicely -- we have dense clay soil here.

I'm so hoping that I get blooms this spring - they really are gorgeous.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™