Watering vinca minor/periwinkle

Jerapais_69June 20, 2012

I just planted thousands of bare root myrtle on a steep hillside which is part shady, part sunny, part wet and part dry! Clay soil. Located in Zone 6. Anyone have insight on how often to water and how much? Planted last 2 weeks of May of this year. THANKS!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

And I have no intention of being cheeky with this......as often as necessary! Truly, it is impossible to tell anyone how much or how often to water. There are far too many variables involved that just do not translate over the Internet.

You do not want the plants or the soil to dry excessively. Neither do you want the soil to remain excessively wet. The slope, possible lack of water penetration due to clay soil and also sunlight would indicate more frequent watering required than would be on a flat, looser, lighter soil and more shady situation. Weather will also play a big factor. Frequent checking of both the plants and the soil conditions will be necessary through the summer and then water accordingly. You can start slacking off when temperatures begin to cool in fall and normal rainfall commences.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 7:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

SOunds like you have found the perfect plant for that location. If you can spread some mulch it will keep the soil moist between rain or your watering. It has been my experience if this plant dries out it's not happy, so don't let the soil dry out if you can help it. Purchased mulch such as compost might be cheaper than replanting! I dislike bark mulch. You want something that doesn't form a tight mat that water can't penetrate. Used coffee grounds free from St*rbucks with a light layer of mulch over the top reduces cost.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Sponsored Products
Water Lily Copper Patio Torch with Spiral Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Peyton Round Outdoor Dining Table with Chairs Cover - Sand
$469.50 | FRONTGATE
Calhoun Leather Ottoman - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Matira Blue 2 ft. x 3 ft.
$39.00 | Home Depot
Fun Furnishings Micro Toddler Flip Sofa - 55247
$59.98 | Hayneedle
Zuo Clear Water Bay Outdoor Corner Chair
Euro Style Lighting
Carriage House Collection 16" High Outdoor Wall Light
$98.00 | Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Rupec Silver/Beige 7 ft. 9
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™