Starting Miscanthus grass from seed

candicenovitzke(4)May 16, 2011

Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some Miscanthus grass from seed directly into some bare soil right now. We're in Zone 4, Wisconsin.

And if so, any suggestions on where to get a variety that's attractive but not ridiculously invasive? LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

No Miscanthus will be invasive in your zone. You'll be lucky to get it to bloom, much less to self-sow.

I'd try Miscanthus sinensis 'New Hybrids,' 'Early Hybrids' or 'Late Hybrids.' They are reliable germinators, and generally available seeds.

There are probably no popular named Miscanthus which will grow true from seed in your zone.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 7:58PM
nick0001

I'm also curious about this as I'd like to grow some in Minnesota. What do you mean by growing true? Would it not be a good idea to start them outside from seed? Would starting them inside from seed work better?

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 11:31AM
WoodsTea 6a MO

Nick -- here's a page at the University of Minnesota about M. sinensis:

http://miscanthus.cfans.umn.edu/default.htm

If you click on the "Recommendations for use" they recommend that gardeners do NOT plant it from seed since these plants could self-seed and invade wild areas:

http://miscanthus.cfans.umn.edu/recommendations.htm

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 8:30AM
nick0001

Yea I saw that, it's funny though because it's actually planted in some city parks around the city. As well as along the roads and highways here.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 8:33AM
WoodsTea 6a MO

Well it's true, M. sinensis is everywhere. I think for the most part when you see it in parking lots, etc. that they've used vegetatively propagated cultivars. One I see all the time (and that was in my yard when I bought it) is M. sinensis 'Gracillimus'. This year I'm pulling the last of it out.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™