Finally a female pumpkin blossom!

organic_mamag(Z5 IN)July 5, 2008

This forum has been so helpful! I worried that my pumpkin plants only had male blossoms but then I read on here to wait until the vines were longer. Sure enough, this morning when I did my daily check, I found my first female blossom! I hand-pollinated it with one of the many male blossoms. I'm so excited. I hope it is the first of many.

And on a related note, my zucchini had been producing lots of 3" zucchini that apparently weren't getting pollinated because they'd deflate and turn yellow. Thanks to this forum I started hand-pollinating (using a child's paintbrush) and now I have HUGE zucchini! Yippee!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msyoohoo

Congrats! Can't wait for my turn!

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 6:23PM
regaldozer(6A)

could you (or someone) post a pic of a female blossom and a male blossom so a newb pumpkin grower like me can tell the difference...

thanks

dozer

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 2:48PM
weirdtrev

Here are two links for you with pictures:

Illustrated hand pollination You can see the base of male and female flowers. The female flowers are the ones with a baby fruit attached.

Inside of male and female flowers This is a second way to tell the difference.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 5:11PM
regaldozer(6A)

thanks so much weird, i saw my first female this morning. she is closed tight but I will check often to see the progress and hopefully learn. more

both those links were great

Steve

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 5:18PM
ladyoutlaw619

Can you tell me if theses r male or female pumpkin flowers? i am trying to help my pumpkins plants right now they been getting bombed with bugs & snails i am gonna be buying stuff today hopefully that will work. my pumpkin plants turning yellowish & some look almost like it mite have some mildew or something on it have no idea what that is though. u kinda can see what i am talking about by the second pic....any ideas? thanks

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 1:51PM
vtgreenthumb

Hard to tell, but just by looking at the insides they look like male flowers. Here is an easy way check - if the flower is connected to a stem, than it is a male; if the flower is connected to a tiny fruit, then it is a female.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 2:34PM
steena-sunshine

My pumpkin blossom look to be female since it has a noticeable bump at the base of the flower, but the inside looks like the male pictured above. Which is it?

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 6:21PM
weirdtrev

Take a look at the two links I posted further up in the thread. They have both a top and side view of male and female flowers. I would say you have a male flower, a female flower has more than just a bump. The little bump you see is probably just the bottom of the male flower.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 11:03PM
lkdfs

I wanted to post some photos of some Jack-Be-Little pumpkin flowers. The first female appeared today after about 90 days. The package says 95 days to maturity, but I really didn't think that would be Sept 17 when I planted these in pots in June(!). This is a female center:

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 12:54PM
lkdfs

Here's the Jack-Be-Little female flower with base (So cute!):

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 12:56PM
lkdfs

Male flower base, for comparison:

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 12:58PM
lkdfs

Male flower center:

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 12:59PM
ccabal(7)

Here's a Rouge Vif d'Etampes (C. Maxima) female blossom.

Bookmark   September 19, 2014 at 10:51AM
springtogarden(6)

These are beautiful you guys! This is why they are my favorite plant to grow. How adorable is it that you "see" the pumpkin before its even pollinated on the flower stem?! The Jack-Be-Little female flower is so cute!

Bookmark   September 19, 2014 at 8:39PM
dpforumdog

I have lots of males yellow flowers blooming but I have had only few female buds. I call them buds because I have not seen them ever open to flowers. The female buds are at the bottom of the vines near the dirt. They look like tiny elf heads with Santa caps.

I have not seen any female buds open to flowers, but we only come to our property on the weekend so I do not know what I am missing during the week. Maybe they have bloomed during the week and just fall, maybe the deer are are eating them (but the deer don't seem to eat the male flowers)

How long after the female bud (elf head with Santa cap) appears should there be a yelllow flower?

What could be happening to my little female buds during the week?

Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 7:55AM
lkdfs

Hmmm. So the base ("mini pumpkin") will still be on the vine once your flower has faded. I think that's how you'll know if you had a female flower. The only thing about missing the flower is that you won't have hand-pollinated it. It could have been pollinated by the bees, but I hand-pollinate to make sure. So if you see mini pumpkins on the vine without flowers on the weekend, they may or may not be viable. HTH.

Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 4:31PM
ccabal(7)

The "Santa cap" on the "elf heads" will slowly grow (over many days) , but will be green. The day before it opens, you'll start to see some yellow in it, then the next day, they open up... really early in the morning, maybe an hour or 2 before sunrise.
Here's one I pollinated this morning

Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 5:10PM
dpforumdog

We are there only on the weekends and I have yet to see a yellowish santa cap. I think my santa caps are falling off or somehow disappearing before they turn yellow to open to a flower. Its getting kinda late even for Alabama

Thanks this was very helpful.

Bookmark   September 25, 2014 at 10:37PM
dpforumdog

Has this flower (by my finger) already opened and closed? Or is it going to open in a few days

Bookmark   September 27, 2014 at 9:26AM
dpforumdog

Has the flowers by the scissors already opened and closed? Or has it yet to open?

Bookmark   September 27, 2014 at 9:29AM
dpforumdog

All the males flowers were wide open this morning blooming big. But my females looks as if the yellow flowers have shriveled up.

Bookmark   September 27, 2014 at 9:30AM
dpforumdog

For future readers.These two female flowers were pollinated and did become pumpkins,

Bookmark   October 12, 2014 at 9:03AM
otcay

my newest female blossom

Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 11:57PM
ccabal(7)

What kind is that ?

Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 8:17PM
otcay

It's a kabocha. I hand fertilized it but I'm not sure if it will have enough time to ripen.

Bookmark   November 2, 2014 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Breeding zuccihini for borer resistance
I know it is considered not possible . I made some...
jerry63
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Sponsored Products
Holtkoetter | Large Ceiling Fixture No. 5221/1
$718.00 | YLighting
Pillow Perfect Tropical 18-inch Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Blossom Ivory and Multi-Colored Rectangular: 4 Ft. x 6 Ft. Rug
$254.95 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Old
Home Depot
Sahara Brown Non-sanded Tile Grout
$25.00 | TileBar