Pampas grass growth, or lack thereof.

staceybeth(7 MA)May 28, 2010

I planted 2 dwarf pampas grass in a bald spot in front of my house last spring. During the summer, no plumes... nothing.. just green.... in the fall, i cut them down to the stump.. and now it just the beginning of June and both of them are still little brown stumps. Will they ever grow back.. or, are they dead. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Chances are they are goners. Tug on the stumps and see if they feel like they are strongly rooted.

I'm going through this now with several grasses, including some which may be hardy in my zone and some which certainly are hardy here.

I installed three Arundo 'Peppermint Stick" plants last fall, after growing them on in 15 gallon pots through the summer. One started re-growth in mid-April, and another just started this week. The third is still silent.

I planted 3 each Pennisetum 'Prince' and 'Princess' last summer, and all 6 grew with abandon. They were gorgeous. So far, none have re-grown. We had a zone 8 winter, so I had high hopes. It doesn't look good.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 7:30AM
staceybeth(7 MA)

I did tug on them and they seem firmly rooted. .however I think I am going to dig them up anyway.. as I did some research on them and I dont think they are good for my garden. I may put them in a container instead and see if they are going to grow... Oh boy. back to the drawing board with that spot in my front yard.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 8:12AM
olddude1

I just bought some dwarf pampas grass,i am trying to hide a ugle chain link fence.I was told befor i plant it i could split the rootball in half and make two plants out of one.Is this true?

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Sponsored Products
MOTI Furniture - Pampa Cabinet Old Glass-Front Door - 95001004
Great Furniture Deal
Jujuy Sugar Bowl - Pampas Life
$80.00 | HORNE
Jujuy Creamer - Pampas Life
$80.00 | HORNE
Jujuy Serving Tray - Pampas Life
$245.00 | HORNE
MOTI Furniture - Pampa Wine Cabinet Old Glass Front Door - 95021001
Great Furniture Deal