Zuchinni development

it'sALLartJuly 8, 2012

OK, I know we're in a drought and all, but this seems a little odd to me. I have great soil (amended) and water daily, not too heavily, usually first thing in the morning to avoid molds, etc.

I've grown zuchs in the past and usually the plants vine all over the place and take over whatever area they're in. This time they seem to be forming bushes instead of vines. They don't seem to want to spread out! I don't get it... did I get some kind of bush variety by accident? (can't find the seed package.) Nice big leaves and several young fruits developing but this seems odd to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

sounds like you got a bush variety. thats what im growing and thats what mine sound like. all the fruits are coming out at the center/base of the plant.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:13AM
PRO
it'sALLart

Well, you are right... after some digging, I see that most varieties offered now are bush type. Duh! Last time I grew these was 15 years ago, probably when seeds were mostly vine-type...

Well, at least I know I can take down the trellis now. LOL... :-)

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:20AM
tcstoehr

Yeah, I don't even know of any zuke that would not be a bush type nowadays. For summer squashes, the bushes are completely adequate in my opinion. No need for long vines. Two bushes gives me way more than I can deal with without sending 20-foot vines all over the place.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™