Got a pumpkin without male flowers!!

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)July 14, 2012

My container pumpkin grew so fast that it bloomed 4 nice females before the first male. It drove me crazy, but I did my best to pollinate them by prying open a couple of males that were a day or so away from blooming. Frankly, I saw no pollen inside the males. So 3 of the 4 were duds, BUT the fourth one took. I'm fairly sure it was the squash plants my neighbors are growing 2 houses away that did it. There has been good bee action. I've seen 5 honey bees at a time inside the huge orange flowers. Happy to report the males and females are more in sync now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Don't ever open up an immature male flower, it is pointless, although I do understand your motivation. I have female flowers on all my winter squash long in advance of male flowers, although people always say it's the other way around.
Any summer squash in your area could have been the source of pollen for your pumpkin, assuming it is a C. Pepo.
I sometimes wonder if a male flower from the previous day might be used. Possibly by removing it from the vine before bees strip it clean.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Courge-Fri
Courge-fritter in palm butter are far more healthy...
acorneti
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™