what is it?

blazepepper(7b)July 10, 2008

I noticed in my garden today what looks like some sort of small animal, well, terds, for lack of a better word. They are tiny, what I would think would be the size of a rabbit dropping, and if you look close, they are sectional, almost like a grenade looks on the outside. Its everywhere in my garden box, in which i grown tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. But I havent noticed any fruit or vegetation being eaten. DO I have cause for concern, anyone know what this might be> my garden, raised bed box,, is about 6 x 5, and is inside of my backyar privacy fence. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

Sounds like rat/mouse droppings to me, suppose they could be chipmunks as well, I've never seen chipmunk poop, but rat poop is ovular, grenade-like, about half the size of a Tic-Tac candy for mice, possibly as big as a Tic-Tac for rats.

Squirrels have been getting up on our deck this year, they seem to poop in a swirl, piled up in a coil, which I find incredibly fascinating. I've never actually seen them do it, but they always appear on the railings the same day that digging in our pots occurs.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 1:05PM
blazepepper(7b)

If it is mouse/rat terds, then my question is, why are they here? and what should I do to get rid of them? I've never seen anything like that here, are they nocternal?

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 2:04PM
blazepepper(7b)

Did some more research, confirmed it was green horned tomato worm terds. Then I looked on all my plants for them, but only found one. good news is that it had already been infested w/ the parasitc wasps so I let it be.
thanks/

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 10:09PM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

this is one of those things you can be super proud about figuring out, but you can't tell any of your non-gardening friends, lest they're bound to think, "you were researching poop on the internet?"

:)

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Oriental Weavers Rugs Grace Mariam Tan 5
$98.97 | Home Depot
Tromba One Light LED Pendant In Satin Nickel And Espresso Glass
$176.00 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Inspire Accolade Chocolate 9
Home Depot
Justice Design Group POR-8701 - Aero 1 Light Wall Sconce - Round Flared Shade -
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group POR-8931 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce (ADA) - Oval Shade -
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Signs of the Future
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™