Miscanthes Sinesis 'Silber Feder'

pjt108(6)May 21, 2007

I have five of these grasses that are about six years old - they have always fallen over and looked messy - now they are enormous and impossible to deal with - I divided them two years ago and now those transplants are completely out of control - any suggestions as to how I can get these grasses to stand upright?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_guy

I'd try staking and lassoing, or use wire cages around the lower 2 feet. You'll need about a 10 ft section to make a 3 ft diameter clump.

Also, trim back the outer culms at the base as they break and/or droop outward.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 8:11PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Another technique is to use remesh, the 6" square concrete reinforcement mesh sold at the big box home repair stores. Cut an approximate circle out of it and wire it to rebar stakes driven into the ground. Rig it about 2' off the ground, so the grass grows up through it. The growing grass will hide the mesh, and the mesh will support the grass.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 6:14AM
grass_guy

I like that idea Donn! Hidden by the grass.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 7:26PM
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

an adaptation to Donn's idea... You might be able to delete the rebar stakes. Just lay the mesh on top of the grass after it reaches about a foot or so off the ground. The grass will grow through it and the stems act together to provide the support.
A friend of mine uses a similar method with Geraniums, Sedums, Peonies, etc. It works great & you never see the support system after the first couple of weeks.
a.

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™