Should my Miscanthus sinensis be sprouting yet?

lilmonstersx3(z7 NJ)May 2, 2006

Hi, I'm thinking this might not have surrvived. I have a bunch of this (I got for mothers day last year about a 2 gallon size) It didn't "flower" in the fall and just browned. I did mulch around it and cut it down late fall. I only have 1 blade of grass growing from it right now the rest is still sticks. Should this be "up" already. It is planted on the east side of the house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I don't know what the "east side of the house" means for sun exposure, but if it isn't getting 4-6 hours of good direct sun a day, it'll underperform. Mulching it, after cutting it down in the fall, could have subjected it to rotting over the winter.

I'm in the same zone, and my Miscanthus clumps have been sprouting for over a month. I cut them back just as they started sprouting, after leaving their fall foliage up all winter.

If you have a single blade, the clump is obviously still partially alive. You could just watch it, or you could dig it up, and divide out the section the single blade is growing from. Put it in a sunny spot, and wait.

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 7:30AM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™