Propagating zebra grass

freddiethehat(z6 NJ)May 24, 2006

I just purchased a couple zebra grass plants and would like to divide them in half. Has anyone done this in the past that would like to offer any tips? I know division is the process, and I have done that with hostas plenty of times, so I know how to do it. Just wondering if zebra grass offers any different challenges. Any offers of hints or tips out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenmaven(Z5 MI)

The best way to divide a grass from a pot is to take a sharp knife and cut it into a couple of pieces. I've done this quite successfully. If it's a very large pot, you can go for more pieces.

Now grasses dug up from the ground -- that's another story. These we divide with an ax!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental grasses - planting and care tips

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 9:53PM
gsweater

Indeed, heavy equipment needed for large clumps! Just dug up a rather large patch today and divided it into 5 8" sets. started with a sharp spade, which wouldn't come close to splitting it, it was so dense. Ended up using a v tooth saw. No harm done, you really can't get too brutal with these. A tip though, is to wait until after the active growing season is done, cut them down to 6-12" and then divide for best results.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:14PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Chop it up at will, it will do just fine

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:30PM
Seamer1(z7 IL)

I tried dividing mine a few days ago with a spade......i was not successful. May try my sawzall.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™