any NOT completely invasive?????

buddyroseJune 28, 2009

Is there such a thing as a ground cover that doesn't want to take over the world?

I have every ground cover known to man and then some: English Ivy, Ajuga, Variegated Goutweed, Creeping Phlox, Creeping Jenny, Wild Ginger, Dwarf Plumbago, Sweet Woodruff, Blue Geranium, Heuchera, Daylillies, Golden Creeping Charlie, Pachysandra, Vinca, Hostas, Ferns. ARRRRGHHHH. I'm suffocating in ground covers!!!!

I mostly hate the ivy which is so thick the roots are like steel to rip out. And the Varigated Goutweed that grows under and around my perenial shrubs right up against their trunks. Boy do I hate the look of this. And it's too tall for a ground cover even before those ugly flowers shoot up. UGH.

I love my Creeping jenny, so far, is sweet and lovely around my water garden. The Vinca hasn't gone crazy yet either. And the creeping phlox is gorgeous lavender in Spring and then the Heuchera and Daylillies are pretty.

What's a girl to do short of ripping out my own hair WHICH IS EASIER THAN RIPPING OUT SOME OF THESE GROUND COVERS!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ptilda(3/4)

Depending on the space, I'd use hostas! some of the small ones, like Allen P. McConnell, Twist of Lime and Lemon Lime, fill in very quickly where you put them (I plant them about 6" apart in areas that I want to fill in), but they don't crawl away from the area. Lancifolia is the old standard groundcover hosta, but it gets a little larger.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 4:12AM
More Discussions
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™