Difference between little bunny and little kitten?

dbjc(z6PA)May 16, 2006

I've recently started to incorporate more grasses into my mixed borders. I've been looking at some of the smaller ones, is the differnce between these two size, color, or something else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dawgie(z7NC)

Big difference. Little Bunny is a dwarf fountain grass (Pennisetum) , and will only get about 8-12" tall, not counting the flowers. It stays very compact, and is slow to leaf out in spring. Little Kitten is a Miscanthus variety and will eventually grow about 2-2 1/2' tall and wide, not counting flowers. It is not as compact as LB and has more of a weeping appearance. Also slow to leaf out, but not as slow as LB. LK is small for a Miscanthus, but much larger than LB.

If you are looking for small grasses, don't overlook Blue Fescue, Festuca glauca, one of the finest grasses available and very easy to find for cheap prices. Also easy to grow from seed. Plus it's evergreen.

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I love my 'Little Bunny' because it was a gift from a special online friend but for overall garden worthiness the small Fescues can't be beat. I have 'Elijah Blue', 'Golden Toupee' and one that is much less blue than 'Elijah' that I don't know the name of. They are blooming now and are sooooooo cute and completely trouble free. They look great near the front door where the extended time of looking bad for the fountain grasses would be a distraction.

'Golden Toupee' is less vigorous and hasn't bloomed but is still very cute.

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Sponsored Products
Moving-Gear Wall Clock with Elongated Glass Cover
$125.95 | Bellacor
Screen Gems Modalla Screen
Beyond Stores
Home Decorators Area Rug: Whitley Steel 9' 9" x 13' 9"
Home Depot
Lasso Bronze One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Opal Matte Glass
$162.00 | Bellacor
Glass Lamp: 2-Light 22 in. Steel Table Lamp with Frost Glass Shade CLI-LS-20999F
Home Depot
Jura 13623 Giga 5 Automatic Coffee Center - 13623
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™